This isn't my first time using Eclipse or installing PyDev but this is the first time it both succeeded and failed.
It succeeded because it installed, it shows up as being installed and installation went on fine without a problem.
It failed because nothing has shown up, there is no Python perspective, no PyDev views in the view list, no new projects under PyDev, no PyDev preferences. It is as if it is not actually installed at all.
The only thing I did differently is extract the latest eclipse to a folder called ~/eclipse and create a short cut to run it there (the latest Eclipse), usually I use apt-get to install eclipse, realise it's an old version (C++11 stuff missing) then upgrade and do this. Somehow PyDev is usually carried forward.
I'm not sure how it can list it as being installed but have this error, I'd appreciate any help you guys can offer.