I'm trying to remotely access my Raspberry Pi Zero using SSH. The raspberry's OS is Raspbian Jessy Lite (so no desktop enviornment, only the command line). I connected the raspberry to the Internet using an Android phone with USB-tethering (the raspberry pi zero doesn't have an ethernet port, I tried with a Zydas WiFi dongle but I couldn't make it work) so running ifconfig outputs:
lo Link encap:Local loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
usb0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 02:64:78:7c:65:6f
inet addr:192.168.42.172 Bcast:192.168.42.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::64:78ff:fe7c:656f/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:68 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:111 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:5959 (5.8 KiB) TX bytes:18109 (17.6 KiB)
I'm trying to access the raspberry from a linux computer (running debian 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt25-2 (2016-04-08) x86_64 GNU/Linux), I use the command:
ssh [email protected]
But that results in an error:
ssh: connect to host 192.168.42.172 port 22: Connection timed out
I have enabled SSH on the raspberry using the command:
raspi-config
Running the ssh command on the raspberry works but it times out when I use it in the linux computer. I also tried to ping the raspberry, this is the result:
debian:~$ ping 192.168.42.172
PING 192.168.42.172 (192.168.42.172) 56(84) bytes of data.
^C
--- 192.168.42.172 ping statistics ---
844 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 843007ms
Also, here is the file /etc/network/interfaces:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth inet maual
allow-hotplug usb0
iface usb0 inet dhcp
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
iface default inet dhcp
UPDATE: I did what JNevill said and tried connecting my debian computer to the phone's network, since the phone only has one USB port I connected through bluetooth. But I still got the same error. I also tried to use the Port Forwarder app to forward the 2222 port to the 22 in the raspberry so that when I run the command:
ssh [email protected] -p 2222
The Android phone should be forwarding that to the raspberry's 22 port (I also tried forwarding 22 to 22 but I got an error: "EACCESS: Permission denied"). Doing that I also got a Connection Timeout. Maybe it's because the app is not working, when I use the command:
ssh [email protected] -p 2222
I get a different error: Connection refused. It doesn't even prompt for a password. Also, the Android phone is not rooted, so maybe that's why.