I'm having trouble with consistent service discovery using EC2, AWS, Docker, Consul-Template, Consul, and NGINX.
I have multiple services, each running on it's own EC2 instance. On these instances I run the following containers (in this order):
- cAdvisor (monitoring)
- node-exporter (monitoring)
- Consul (running in agent mode)
- Registrator
- My service
- Custom container running both nginx and consul-template
The custom container has the following Dockerfile:
FROM nginx:1.9
#Install Curl
RUN apt-get update -qq && apt-get -y install curl
#Install Consul Template
RUN curl -L https://github.com/hashicorp/consul-template/releases/download/v0.10.0/consul-template_0.10.0_linux_amd64.tar.gz | tar -C /usr/local/bin --strip-components 1 -zxf -
#Setup Consul Template Files
RUN mkdir /etc/consul-templates
COPY ./app.conf.tmpl /etc/consul-templates/app.conf
# Remove all other conf files from nginx
RUN rm /etc/nginx/conf.d/*
#Default Variables
ENV CONSUL consul:8500
CMD /usr/sbin/nginx -c /etc/nginx/nginx.conf && consul-template -consul=$CONSUL -template "/etc/consul-templates/app.conf:/etc/nginx/conf.d/app.conf:/usr/sbin/nginx -s reload"
The app.conf file looks like this:
{{range services}}
upstream {{.Name}} {
least_conn;{{range service .Name}}
server {{.Address}}:{{.Port}};{{end}}
}
{{end}}
server {
listen 80 default_server;
proxy_set_header Host $host;
proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
location / {
proxy_pass http://cart/cart/;
}
location /cart {
proxy_pass http://cart/cart;
}
{{range services}}
location /api/{{.Name}} {
proxy_read_timeout 180;
proxy_pass http://{{.Name}}/{{.Name}};
}
{{end}}
}
Everything seems to start up perfectly ok, but at some point (which I'm yet to identify) after start up, consul-template seems to return that there are no available servers for a particular service. This means that the upstream section for that service contains no servers, and I end up with this in the logs:
2015/12/04 07:09:34 [emerg] 77#77: no servers are inside upstream in /etc/nginx/conf.d/app.conf:336
nginx: [emerg] no servers are inside upstream in /etc/nginx/conf.d/app.conf:336
2015/12/04 07:09:34 [ERR] (runner) error running command: exit status 1
Consul Template returned errors:
1 error(s) occurred:
* exit status 1
2015/12/04 07:09:34 [DEBUG] (logging) setting up logging
2015/12/04 07:09:34 [DEBUG] (logging) config:
{
"name": "consul-template",
"level": "WARN",
"syslog": false,
"syslog_facility": "LOCAL0"
}
2015/12/04 07:09:34 [emerg] 7#7: no servers are inside upstream in /etc/nginx/conf.d/app.conf:336
nginx: [emerg] no servers are inside upstream in /etc/nginx/conf.d/app.conf:336
After this, NGINX will no longer accept requests.
I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but I've tied myself in mental knots about the sequence of events etc. What I think might be happening is that NGINX crashes, but because consul-template is still running, the Docker container doesn't restart. I don't actually care if the container itself restarts, or if just NGINX restarts.
Can someone help?