I have a data file that I am creating a histogram from.
The data file is :
-0.1 0 0 JANE
1 1 1 BILL
2 2 1 BILL
1 3 1 BILL
6 4 0 JANE
35 5 0 JANE
9 6 1 BILL
4 7 1 BILL
24 8 1 BILL
28 9 1 BILL
9 10 0 JANE
16 11 1 BILL
4 12 0 JANE
45 13 1 BILL
My gnuplot script is :
file='test.txt'
binwidth=10
bin(x,width)=width*floor(x/width)
set boxwidth 1
plot file using (bin($1,binwidth)):(1.0) smooth freq with boxes, \
file using (1+(bin($2,binwidth))):(1.0) smooth freq with boxes
I would like to plot this data on a logscale in y. However there are some 0 values (because some of the bins are empty) that cannot be handled by set logscale y. I get the error Warning: empty y range [1:1], adjusting to [0.99:1.01].
According to gnuplot's help, "The frequency option makes the data monotonic in x; points with the same x-value are replaced by a single point having the summed y-values."
How can I take the log10() of the summed y-values computed by smooth freq with boxes?

