4
votes

I was looking up newer functions of JavaScript and found ECMAScript/ECMA 5.

Because I had never heard of it I looked in to it more and found that it comes in the form of different names such as:

JavaScript, JScript (Microsofts Variation), ECMAScript, ECMA 5, E4X (JavaScript for Xml)and many others

From what I have read it seems that whilst a newer implementation of JavaScript is being drafted it is called ECMA-262 edition {edition_number} or {name}.

I know that each one is a dialect if an implementation of ECMAScript, so it would work in the same if not a slightly different way.

Are JavaScript and ECMAScript different in any way or is it just the name?

4

4 Answers

4
votes

ECMAScript is a standard. Javascript, JScript are implementations of that standard.

And yes they are almost the same. Most of the differences in web programming come from the diversity of DOM implementations (Document Object Model).

1
votes

Well, it's mostly just the name.

Javascript was first implemented, then the ECMAScript standard was drafted to describe it.

0
votes

Same. ECMAScript is the language, Javascript is the name of the implementation in web browsers.

0
votes

HOWEVER if you stick to JavaScript when you code for browsers, you will be the most compatible.