How do I find the missing number from a sorted list the pythonic way?
a=[1,2,3,4,5,7,8,9,10]
I have come across this post but is there a more and efficient way to do this?
>>> a=[1,2,3,4,5,7,8,9,10]
>>> sum(xrange(a[0],a[-1]+1)) - sum(a)
6
alternatively (using the sum of AP series formula)
>>> a[-1]*(a[-1] + a[0]) / 2 - sum(a)
6
For generic cases when multiple numbers may be missing, you can formulate an O(n) approach.
>>> a=[1,2,3,4,7,8,10]
>>> from itertools import imap, chain
>>> from operator import sub
>>> print list(chain.from_iterable((a[i] + d for d in xrange(1, diff))
for i, diff in enumerate(imap(sub, a[1:], a))
if diff > 1))
[5, 6, 9]
There is a perfectly working solution by @Abhiji. I would like to extent his answer by the option to define a granularity value. This might be necessary if the list should be checked for a missing value > 1:
from itertools import imap, chain
from operator import sub
granularity = 3600
data = [3600, 10800, 14400]
print list(
chain.from_iterable(
(data[i] + d for d in xrange(1, diff) if d % granularity == 0)
for i, diff in enumerate(imap(sub, data[1:], data))
if diff > granularity
)
)
The code above would produce the following output: [7200].
As this code snipped uses a lot of nested functions, I'd further like to provide a quick back reference, that helped me to understand the code: