I have a rather big program, where I use functions from the random module in different files. I would like to be able to set the random seed once, at one place, to make the program always return the same results. Can that even be achieved in python?
7 Answers
zss's comment should be highlighted as an actual answer:
Another thing for people to be careful of: if you're using
numpy.random, then you need to usenumpy.random.seed()to set the seed. Usingrandom.seed()will not set the seed for random numbers generated fromnumpy.random. This confused me for a while. -zss
Jon Clements pretty much answers my question. However it wasn't the real problem: It turns out, that the reason for my code's randomness was the numpy.linalg SVD because it does not always produce the same results for badly conditioned matrices !!
So be sure to check for that in your code, if you have the same problems!
Building on previous answers: be aware that many constructs can diverge execution paths, even when all seeds are controlled.
I was thinking "well I set my seeds so they're always the same, and I have no changing/external dependencies, therefore the execution path of my code should always be the same", but that's wrong.
The example that bit me was list(set(...)), where the resulting order may differ.
You can guarantee this pretty easily by using your own random number generator.
Just pick three largish primes (assuming this isn't a cryptography application), and plug them into a, b and c: a = ((a * b) % c) This gives a feedback system that produces pretty random data. Note that not all primes work equally well, but if you're just doing a simulation, it shouldn't matter - all you really need for most simulations is a jumble of numbers with a pattern (pseudo-random, remember) complex enough that it doesn't match up in some way with your application.
Knuth talks about this.