Recently I've become interested in writing my own really really basic OS. I wrote (well, copied) some basic Assembly that establishes a stack and does some basic things and this seemed to work fine, however attempting to introduce C into the mix has screwed everything up.
I have two main project files: loader.s which is some NASM that creates the stack and calls my C function, and kernel.c which contains the basic C function.
My issue at the moment is essentially that QEMU freezes up when I run my kernel.bin file. I'm guessing there are any number of things wrong with my code -- perhaps this question isn't really appropriate for a StackOverflow format due to its extreme specificity. My project files are as follows:
loader.s:
BITS 16 ; 16 Bits
extern kmain ; Our 'proper' kernel function in C
loader:
mov ax, 07C0h ; Move the starting address [7C00h] into 'ax'
add ax, 32 ; Leave 32 16 byte blocks [200h] for the 512 code segment
mov ss, ax ; Set 'stack segment' to the start of our stack
mov sp, 4096 ; Set the stack pointer to the end of our stack [4096 bytes in size]
mov ax, 07C0h ; Use 'ax' to set 'ds'
mov ds, ax ; Set data segment to where we're loaded
mov es, ax ; Set our extra segment
call kmain ; Call the kernel proper
cli ; Clear ints
jmp $ ; Hang
; Since putting these in and booting the image without '-kernel' can't find
; a bootable device, we'll comment these out for now and run the ROM with
; the '-kernel' flag in QEMU
;times 510-($-$$) db 0 ; Pad remained of our boot sector with 0s
;dw 0xAA55 ; The standard 'magic word' boot sig
kernel.c:
#include <stdint.h>
void kmain(void)
{
unsigned char *vidmem = (char*)0xB8000; //Video memory address
vidmem[0] = 65; //The character 'A'
vidmem[1] = 0x07; //Light grey (7) on black (0)
}
I compile everything like so:
nasm -f elf -o loader.o loader.s
i386-elf-gcc -I/usr/include -o kernel.o -c kernel.c -Wall -nostdlib -fno-builtin -nostartfiles -nodefaultlibs
i386-elf-ld -T linker.ld -o kernel.bin loader.o kernel.o
And then test like so:
qemu-system-x86_64 -kernel kernel.bin
Hopefully someone can have a look over this for me -- the code snippets aren't massively long.
Thanks.