1
votes

I am new to salesforce and apex as well. trying to use to understand both while working. I was wondering about following things

  1. Is it possiable to run the Java code inside Salesforce, instead of Apex?

  2. Is it possible to have packages in the Apex code so that I could enable the like wide classed together?

  3. Is there any easy way to debug an Apex application on my local system? At present I am trying to put system.debug and execute it with Salesforce.

  4. Can I configure the environment variable in the salesforce and use it in the Apex?

Thanks a lot for helping me out

4
In the future, please create a separate question for each question. - Jeremy Ross
Thanks a lot but jaraybill but the documentation was not that clear. i will keep your advice in mind though - Rahul

4 Answers

11
votes
  • You cannot run Java. Only Apex.
  • Not sure what you mean by packages. Apex doesn't have anything like Java packages.
  • There is no local debugging or local engine. Only runs in the cloud.
  • For environment variables, custom settings are probably the closest analog.
1
votes

You can't work with java directly in salesforce. But you can use Salesforce in your local java application and it sync your data with salesforce. I used it before and it's pretty easy, try to google it.

1
votes

you can also go with database.com + heroku/amazon if you want to develop with different language in salesforce platform

0
votes

Just started with Apex and Salesforce myself. I realize this is an old post but here is my advice so far. Use Install java 1.6, Helios eclipse, and then the force.com ide plugin. In that order.