9
votes

Currently on OSX 10.7 Lion openssl 0.9.8r is installed. This build is from Feb 2011 and I want to update it to the newest version. I can't use the autoupdate because I need the enable-cms option so I built it from the source, run ./Configure darwin64-x86_64-ccand ./config enable-cms --openssldir=~/usr/local/ssl. Then I made "make" and "make install" without any errors but there is still the old version installed.

> openssl version
OpenSSL 0.9.8r 8 Feb 2011

What am I doing wrong? Maybe it's the folder? I only guessed that the ssl folder in /usr/local/ must be the default open ssl installation directory from Mac OSX?

2
@JamesMcLaughlin, it refers to /usr/bin/openssl/... but when I set ./config --openssldir=/usr/bin/opennssl then it will copy all openssl files in there? But there should only be an executable? - Chris
check here: techscienceinterest.blogspot.com/2010/12/… worked perfectly work me. - user1501901

2 Answers

7
votes

Okay, I found a solution.

Before starting:

  1. download sources
  2. unpack sources
  3. go into the unpacked source directory

The prefix has to be set on the /usr/ folder.

sudo ./configure --prefix=/usr/ darwin64-x86_64-cc enable-cms
sudo make
sudo make install

Note: To perform just a normal update you can drop the enable-cms option.

1
votes

brew version (installed in '/usr/local/opt/openssl/bin') has such support for me.

https://formulae.brew.sh/formula/[email protected]