I started building my site in WebMatrix and then switched to using VS2010 so I could have better Intellisense and debugging. I've been loading WebMatrix to deploy and it's been working fine.
However, loading WebMatrix is a PITA and I actually want more flexibility over the web deployment process.
So I started learning about msdeploy.exe and how to use it. I was able to successfully get the site to sync as I wanted with the following command line:
msdeploy.exe
-verb:sync
-dest:iisApp=MySite,wmsvc=www.mysite.com,username=administrator,password=blahblahblah
-allowUntrusted
-skip:absolutePath=webdeploy.cmd
-skip:absolutePath=web.config
-skip:objectName=dirPath,absolutePath="App_Data"
-skip:objectName=dirPath,absolutePath="bin"
-skip:absolutePath=vwd.webinfo
-source:iisApp="C:\Users\charlie\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\WebSites\MySite"
I had to use -allowTrusted because the cert on the server uses a differnt host name than www. No biggie. I have some -skips for stuff I don't want to write to the dest as well.
It all works great.
I use SQL Server (Express) on my host (a WebMatrix AMI on AWS).
I want to have the ability to push my database to the host as well. I am trying to use the following msdeploy commmand:
msdeploy.exe
-verb:sync
-source:dbFullSql="data source=.\SQLEXPRESS;Integrated Security=SSPI;AttachDBFilename=C:....\MySite.mdf;User instance=true"
-dest:dbFullSql="Server=www.mysite.com\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=webmatrix_db;Uid=webmatrix_user;Pwd=<pwd>"
This gives me
Error: The database 'webmatrix_db' could not be created.
Error: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing aa
connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. ...
I think my problem is the connection string. I copied Server=".\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=webmatrix_db;Uid=webmatrix_user;Pwd=<pwd> from the WebMatrix UI and pre-pended it with www.mysite.com thinking it needed my hostname somewhere.
Obviously this is not correct and I can't find any examples of connection strings that work either.
Note that SQL is not exposed directly by this server. I assume WebMatrix's invocation of msdeploy is connecting using my admin credentials (not the SQL credentials) first and then msdeploy invokes the SQL commands on the remote host. I need something like the ...wmsvc=www.mysite.com,username=administrator,password=blahblahblah in the -dest option of the first example I gave above.
It would be awesome if I could see a log of how WebMatrix was invoking msdeploy.
What is the correct msdeploy command to do what I want?
[UPDATE - ANSWER]
One of the best things about StackOverflow, is that posting a question really makes you think about what you are doing. Shortly after I posted the above, I realized the wmsvc=www.mysite.com,username=administrator,password=blahblahblah parameter in the -dest parameter was the key. The question became how to correctly add it to my specific example.
This msdeploy command line now connects correctly:
msdeploy.exe -verb:sync -source:dbFullSql="data source=.\SQLEXPRESS;Integrated Security=SSPI;AttachDBFilename=C:\Users\charlie\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\WebSites\Fiinom\App_Data\MySite.mdf;User instance=true" -dest:dbFullSql="Server=.\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=webmatrix_db;Uid=webmatrix_user; Pwd=rI2vP3rK6hV8nN8",wmsvc=www.mysite.com,username=administrator,password=blahblahblah -allowUntrusted
Now that msdeploy is connecting successfully and executing commands, I need to figure out how to make it actually merge the database. Right now it's giving me an error that a table already exists and can't create it...