I am working with the STM32F767 Nucleo board and currently, I trying to set the PLL as the system clock. While I have been able, thanks to an example generated by the CubeMX, I really don't understand why it must be done so. The setup is:
- HSI = 16MHz
- PLLM = 8
- VCO_Input_Frequency = 16/8 = 2MHz
- PLLN = 144
- Frequency = 144*2 = 288MHz
- PLLP = 6
- PLL_Output_Frequency = 288/6 = 48MHz
- PPRE1 = 2
- APB1_Frequency = 24MHz
- APB1_Frequency_Timer = 2*24MHz = 48MHz
The following line of code is what is buging me:
//Sets the voltage scaling mode to 3, VOS = 0x1 = b1
PWR->CR1 |= PWR_CR1_VOS_0;
a = PWR->CR1; //Small delay
When this line is commented the period is 19.7ms and when is active the period is 20ms, as expected. It is very strange, this is how the generated code from CubeMX does. It makes the voltage scaling to 1 (low performance). I don't understand how seting the voltage scaling equals to 1 makes the PLL works correctly.
Down below is the code that configure the PLL:
void sys_clock_init(void){
int a;
//Sets the wait states to 1
FLASH->ACR |= 0x01;
a = FLASH->ACR; //Small delay
//Enables the power interface (for the power controller)
RCC->APB1ENR |= RCC_APB1ENR_PWREN;
a = RCC->APB1ENR; //Small delay
//Clears the bits for the voltage scaling
PWR->CR1 &= ~(PWR_CR1_VOS);
//Sets the voltage scaling mode to 3, VOS = 0x1 = b1
PWR->CR1 |= PWR_CR1_VOS_0;
a = PWR->CR1; //Small delay
//Makes HSI the source of the PLL
RCC->PLLCFGR &= ~(0x400000);
//Clears the bits for the different factors
RCC->PLLCFGR &= ~(RCC_PLLCFGR_PLLM);
//Sets the PLLM = 0x08 = b100
RCC->PLLCFGR |= (RCC_PLLCFGR_PLLM_3);
//Clears the PLLN bits
RCC->PLLCFGR &= ~(RCC_PLLCFGR_PLLN);
//Sets PLLN = 0x90 = b10010000
RCC->PLLCFGR |=(RCC_PLLCFGR_PLLN_7 | RCC_PLLCFGR_PLLN_4);
//Clears the PLLP bits
RCC->PLLCFGR &= ~(RCC_PLLCFGR_PLLP);
//Sets the PLLP = 0x02 = b10
RCC->PLLCFGR |=(RCC_PLLCFGR_PLLP_1);.
//Clears the PPRE1 bits
RCC->CFGR &= ~(RCC_CFGR_PPRE1_2 | RCC_CFGR_PPRE1_1 | RCC_CFGR_PPRE1_0);
//Set bit PPRE1 = 0x02 = b100
RCC->CFGR |= (RCC_CFGR_PPRE1_2);// | RCC_CFGR_PPRE1_0);
//Turns the PLL ON
RCC->CR |= RCC_CR_PLLON;
//Waits for the PLL to be ready
while(!((RCC->CR & RCC_CR_PLLRDY) == RCC_CR_PLLRDY));
//Clears the switch bits
RCC->CFGR &= ~(RCC_CFGR_SW);
//Set the PLL as the System Clock
RCC->CFGR |= (RCC_CFGR_SW_1);}
I have also tested commenting the lines that sets VOS bits on the CubeMX code and the period is 19.75ms like mine.