I am trying to understand an example for an app with offline support using retrofit and room:
You can find the code for it here:
This project is using dependency injections with Dagger2. I've never worked with it so I am trying to understand how things work together. I understand the purpose of dependency injection but I don't understand the implementation of the project above.
I found a very good introduction into Dagger2 here:
A Friendly Introduction to Dagger 2
I worked through it and got most of it. Back to the actual project I am trying to understand (link 2). It still doesn't make sense to me and here is why:
The interface AppComponent has one method which is used:
public void inject(MainActivity2ViewModel viewModelModule);The return type is void. In the Dagger2 sample project (link 3 and 4) they useWeatherReporter getWeatherReporter();which makes sense because later they call this method to get a WeatherReporter-Instance and Dagger2 manages all of the instantation process in the background. But I get nothing if the return type is void. Why is the return type not an object?There is one
@Injectin MainActivity2ViewModel:@Inject public void setRepository(GitHubRepository2 repository) { this.repository = repository; }
repository is the only field of MainActivity2ViewModel so it is a dependency. The GitHubRepository2 constructor has 3 parameters:
@Inject
public GitHubRepository2(GitHubApi api, GitHubDao dao, Executor executor)
For each of them there is a module explaining how to create those objects. But why is there an AppModule and a NetModule? Maybe the AppModule is there because DaoModule needs an Application reference but why is there a NetModule and where is it used?