I'm writing up a timer for some complex communication application in windows 10 with qt5 and c++. I want to use max 3 percent of CPU with micro second resolution.
Initially i used qTimer (qt5) in this app. It was fine with low CPU usage and developer friendly interface. But It was not precise as i need.It takes only millisecond as parameter but i need microsecond. And the accuracy of the timer wasn't equal this resolution in many real-world situations like heavy load on cpu. Sometimes the timer fires at 1 millisecond, sometimes 15 millisecond. You can see this problem in picture:
I searched a solution for days. But in the end i found Windows is a non real-time Operating System (RTOS) and don't give high resolution and precise timer.
I wrote my own High resolution precise timer with CPU polling for this goal. I developed a singleton class working in separate thread. It works at 10 micro second resolution.
But it is consuming one logical core in CPU. Equivalent to 6.25 percent at ryzen 2700.
For my application this CPU usage is unacceptable. How can i reduce this CPU usage without give high resolution away ?
This is the code that does the job:
void CsPreciseTimerThread::run()
{
while (true)
{
QMutexLocker locker(&mMutex);
for (int i=0;i<mTimerList.size();i++)
{
CsPreciseTimerMiddleLayer* timer = mTimerList[i];
int interval = timer->getInterval();
if ( (timer->isActive() == true&&timer->remainingTime()<0))
{
timer->emitTimeout();
timer->resetTime();
}
}
}
}
I tried to down priority of timer thread. I used this lines:
QThread::start(QThread::Priority::LowestPriority);
And this:
QThread::start(QThread::Priority::IdlePriority);
That changes makes timer less precise but CPU usage didn't decrease.
After that i tried force the current thread to sleep for few microseconds in loop.
QThread::usleep(15);
As you might guess sleep function did screw up the accuracy. Sometimes timer sleeps longer than expected , like 10 ms or 15 ms.



_mm_pause()intrinsic into your loop. - 1201ProgramAlarm