I am using Kubernetes within Google Cloud Kubernetes Engine and have setup the following: - Nginx docker image (nginx:latest), which is hosting a web application - Kubernetes Deployment (yaml file) - Kubernetes Service (yaml file) - Kubernetes Secret with existing key and certificates (Wildcard PositiveSSL) - Kubernetes Ingress
Currently I have both HTTP and HTTPS working. However, I want to redirect any and all HTTP calls to HTTPS automatically, but don't seem to get it to be working.
I have tried many variations of the conf and script files below, and it doesn't seem to be able to redirect HTTP to HTTPS.
Any idea what I might be doing wrong here?
Please see below for my conf, yaml and docker files.
Nginx Conf:
server {
listen 80;
charset utf-8;
root /usr/share/nginx/html;
location / {
proxy_set_header Host $host:$server_port;
proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Proto $scheme;
proxy_redirect http:// https://;
proxy_pass http://portal.domain.com;
proxy_http_version 1.1;
proxy_request_buffering off;
}
}
server {
listen 443 ssl;
charset utf-8;
root /usr/share/nginx/html;
ssl_certificate /etc/nginx/ssl/domain_com_full.crt;
ssl_certificate_key /etc/nginx/ssl/domain_com.key;
location / {
proxy_set_header Host $host:$server_port;
proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Proto $scheme;
proxy_redirect http:// https://;
proxy_pass http://portal.domain.com;
proxy_http_version 1.1;
proxy_request_buffering off;
}
}
Docker file:
FROM nginx:latest
COPY nginx.conf /etc/nginx/conf.d/default.conf
COPY domain_com_full.crt /etc/nginx/ssl/domain_com_full.crt
COPY domain_com.key /etc/nginx/ssl/domain_com.key
COPY dist /usr/share/nginx/html
EXPOSE 443 80
Deployment YAML (I use a script to fill in the revision part of the image):
apiVersion: apps/v1
kind: Deployment
metadata:
name: domain-frontend-prd
spec:
replicas: 2
strategy:
type: RollingUpdate
rollingUpdate:
maxSurge: 1
maxUnavailable: 0
selector:
matchLabels:
run: domain-frontend-prd
template:
metadata:
labels:
run: domain-frontend-prd
spec:
containers:
- name: domain-frontend-image
image: eu.gcr.io/domain-service/domain-frontend-image:{{REVISION_ID}}
ports:
- containerPort: 80
- containerPort: 443
readinessProbe:
httpGet:
path: /
port: 80
initialDelaySeconds: 5
periodSeconds: 5
successThreshold: 1
Service YAML:
apiVersion: v1
kind: Service
metadata:
name: domain-frontend-service-prd
spec:
type: NodePort
selector:
run: domain-frontend-prd
ports:
- protocol: TCP
port: 443
targetPort: 443
name: https-port
- protocol: TCP
port: 80
targetPort: 80
name: http-port
Ingress YAML (The Secret is working, as the HTTPS call also works + static IP is also there and working):
apiVersion: extensions/v1beta1
kind: Ingress
metadata:
name: domain-frontend-ingress-prd
annotations:
kubernetes.io/ingress.global-static-ip-name: kubernetes-ingress
nginx.ingress.kubernetes.io/force-ssl-redirect: "true"
nginx.ingress.kubernetes.io/ssl-redirect: "true"
spec:
tls:
- hosts:
- portal.domain.com
secretName: domain-tls
backend:
serviceName: domain-frontend-service-prd
servicePort: 80
rules:
- host: portal.domain.com
http:
paths:
- path: /
backend:
serviceName: domain-frontend-service-prd
servicePort: 80