I have a function, which can returns different types, and I use discriminated union for this. What I need, is to have conversion from one type in discriminated union to another type. Also some of the types can be convertable to all other types (String), but some of the types can be converted only to String (MyCustomType)
For this I've added member method ConvertTo to the ResultType:
type MyTypes =
| Boolean = 1
| Integer = 2
| Decimal = 3
| Double = 4
| String = 5
| MyCustomType = 6
type ResultType =
| Boolean of bool
| Integer of int
| Decimal of decimal
| Double of double
| String of string
| MyCustomType of MyCustomType
with
member this.ConvertTo(newType: MyTypes) =
match this with
| ResultType.Boolean(value) ->
match newType with
| MyTypes.Boolean ->
this
| MyTypes.Integer ->
ResultType.Integer(if value then 1 else 0)
...
| ResultType.MyCustomType(value) ->
match newType with
| MyTypes.MyCustomType ->
this
| MyTypes.String ->
ResultType.String(value.ToString())
| _ ->
failwithf "Conversion from MyCustomType to %s is not supported" (newType.ToString())
I don't like such construction, because if I add more types, this requires me to do many changes: MyTypes, ResultType and also in several places in the ConvertTo member function.
Can anybody suggest better solution for such types conversion?
Thanks in advance