0
votes

I'm using the official Python REST API of Azure DevOps: https://github.com/Microsoft/azure-devops-python-api

Thanks to the samples I have been able to retrieve information on Test Cases from ids.

How to do it from queries (WIQL)?

Here is my code so far (with modified tokens and links):

from vsts.vss_connection import VssConnection
from msrest.authentication import BasicAuthentication


token = "hcykwckuhe6vbnigsjs7r3ai2jefsdlkfjslkfj5mxizbtfu6k53j4ia"
team_instance = "https://tfstest.toto.com:8443/tfs/Development/"

credentials = BasicAuthentication("", token)
connection = VssConnection(base_url=team_instance, creds=credentials)


def print_work_items(work_items):
    for work_item in work_items:
        print(
            "{0} {1}: {2}".format(
                work_item.fields["System.WorkItemType"],
                work_item.id,
                work_item.fields["System.Title"],
            )
        )


WIT_CLIENT = (
    "vsts.work_item_tracking.v4_1.work_item_tracking_client.WorkItemTrackingClient"
)
wit_client = connection.get_client(WIT_CLIENT)


def get_TC_by_id(desired_ids):
    work_items = wit_client.get_work_items(ids=desired_ids, error_policy="omit")
    print_work_items(work_items)


def get_TC_from_query(query):
    # THIS FUNCTION IS NOT WORKING...
    work_items = wit_client.get_work_items(query=query, error_policy="omit")
    print_work_items(work_items)


get_TC_by_id([1035375])

get_TC_from_query(
    """\
SELECT
        [System.Id],
        [System.WorkItemType],
        [System.Title],
        [System.State],
        [System.AreaPath],
        [System.IterationPath]
FROM workitems
WHERE
        [System.TeamProject] = @project
        AND [System.WorkItemType] = 'Test Case'
ORDER BY [System.ChangedDate] DESC
"""
)

This is the error I get

  File "test_TFS.py", line 35, in get_TC_from_query
    work_items = wit_client.get_work_items(query=query, error_policy="omit")
TypeError: get_work_items() got an unexpected keyword argument 'query'

How shall I retrieve Test Cases from a query?

In particular, I do not understand the values of the "client" such as "vsts.work_item_tracking.v4_1.work_item_tracking_client.WorkItemTrackingClient"

Thank you all!

1

1 Answers

3
votes

After posting a message (i.e. issue leading to a pull request) on the Github repository for VSTS examples, I got a hint to solve my issue.

The solution is to use:

  • a wiql query object with Wiql class
  • query_by_wiql function
  • transforming the results of the query (references with WorkItem id) to WorkItem with get_work_item function (or get_work_items to process several WorkItems in a single pass)

Here is my solution to this problem:

[UPDATED FOR VERSION 5.1 and azure-devops module replacing VSTS]

from azure.devops.connection import Connection
from msrest.authentication import BasicAuthentication
from azure.devops.v5_1.work_item_tracking.models import Wiql


token = "hcykwckuhe6vbnigsjs7r3ai2jefsdlkfjslkfj5mxizbtfu6k53j4ia"
team_instance = "https://tfstest.toto.com:8443/tfs/Development/"

credentials = BasicAuthentication("", token)
connection = Connection(base_url=team_instance, creds=credentials)


def print_work_items(work_items):
    for work_item in work_items:
        print(
            "{0} {1}: {2}".format(
                work_item.fields["System.WorkItemType"],
                work_item.id,
                work_item.fields["System.Title"],
            )
        )


wit_client = connection.clients.get_work_item_tracking_client()


def get_TC_from_query(query):
    query_wiql = Wiql(query=query)
    results = wit_client.query_by_wiql(query_wiql).work_items
    # WIQL query gives a WorkItemReference => we get the corresponding WorkItem from id
    work_items = (wit_client.get_work_item(int(result.id)) for result in results)
    print_work_items(work_items)