9
votes

I am not able to install any external python module through pip install. I have installed python correctly but if I use pip_install it shows me this error.

Here is the code after I run the pip install pytesseract

 C:\Users\190560>pip install pytesseract
Collecting pytesseract
  Retrying (Retry(total=4, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'SSLError(SSLError(1, '[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:833)'),)': /simple/pytesseract/
  Retrying (Retry(total=3, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'SSLError(SSLError(1, '[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:833)'),)': /simple/pytesseract/
  Retrying (Retry(total=2, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'SSLError(SSLError(1, '[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:833)'),)': /simple/pytesseract/
  Retrying (Retry(total=1, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'SSLError(SSLError(1, '[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:833)'),)': /simple/pytesseract/
  Retrying (Retry(total=0, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'SSLError(SSLError(1, '[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:833)'),)': /simple/pytesseract/
  Could not fetch URL https://pypi.org/simple/pytesseract/: There was a problem confirming the ssl certificate: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='pypi.org', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /simple/pytesseract/ (Caused by SSLError(SSLError(1, '[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:833)'),)) - skipping
  Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement pytesseract (from versions: )
No matching distribution found for pytesseract
Could not fetch URL https://pypi.org/simple/pip/: There was a problem confirming the ssl certificate: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='pypi.org', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /simple/pip/ (Caused by SSLError(SSLError(1, '[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:833)'),)) - skipping

How do I solve this problem??

I can partially solve the problem by using this command

pip install --trusted-host pypi.org --trusted-host files.pythonhosted.org <package_name>

but I cannot find any pip.ini folder on my computer as suggested by this question here

Any suggestions to fix this problem permanently??

3
Are you working within a corporate network? - srj
@srj No i am not using any corporate network!! - Yash Soni
There are a few different things that can cause this. First, see this question. Do what the answer says to install -U pip setuptools. If that works, see if pip now works without the trusted-host stuff. If so, that was your problem. If not, you need to give u more information: what platform you're on, what Python version and how you installed it (python.org installer, apt-get, whatever), which of those steps failed, and what the output was. - abarnert
@abarnert I am using windows 10 platform and I am using the latest version of python which is python 3.6.5. I installed it through the python.org installer. The only step in which I failed is the one I mentioned above and the error is also specified. - Yash Soni
Did you do the pip install --trusted-host <etc.> with -U pip setuptools? In at least some cases, that's how you turn the temporary/partial solution into the permanent fix, which is why I asked you to do that. - abarnert

3 Answers

11
votes

I have experienced similar issues when I am in a corporate network where a proxy is required for external network access. In this case, we'll have to tell pip the proxy:

pip --proxy=http://your.corporate.proxy.com  install pytesseract

Another possible cause is due to the pypi domain change. In this case, you can try the solution as below:

pip --index-url=http://pypi.python.org/simple/ --trusted-host pypi.python.org install pytesseract

Another similar case with an excellent answer: pip always fails ssl verification

0
votes

I had a similar problem and found out to be related to the network IPv6 address. I do not know why. What solved my problem was to disable the IPv6. You can find how to do it here for Windows and MacOS X.

0
votes

On Windows, if using a proxy, temporarily disable it in Control Panel - Internet Options - Connection - LAN settings.

Or permanently bypass proxy (also there in LAN settings) for pypi.org;files.pythonhosted.org

LAN settings - exceptions pypi.org;files.pythonhosted.org