I'm trying to use AppleScript and Adobe Acrobat Pro to convert thousands of PDFs to TXTs. My code loops through every PDF, opens it, and saves it as TXT. That part works fine: the PDFs get converted to TXTs, no problem there. What I can't figure out how to do is how to close each PDF after it's been saved as TXT. The PDFs remain open and eventually I run out of memory (it's a lot of PDFs, some of them large).
This is my code:
set sourceFolder to "Macintosh HD:Users:thiagomarzagao:pdffolder"
tell application "Finder"
set fileSet to get every file of folder sourceFolder
end tell
tell application "Finder"
repeat with i from 1 to (count of fileSet)
set currentFile to (item i of fileSet) as string
set outFile to "Macintosh HD:Users:thiagomarzagao:txtfolder:" & "newfile" & i & ".txt"
with timeout of 6000 seconds
tell application "Adobe Acrobat Pro"
activate
open currentFile
save document i to file outFile using conversion "com.adobe.acrobat.plain-text"
close currentFile saving no
end tell
end timeout
end repeat
end tell
I get:
error "Adobe Acrobat Pro got an error: \"Macintosh HD:Users:thiagomarzagao:mypdffile.pdf\" doesn’t understand the “close” message." number -1708 from "Macintosh HD:Users:thiagomarzagao:Desktop:mypdffile.pdf"
If I replace the problematic line with close document i saving no or close every document saving no I get this:
error "Adobe Acrobat Pro got an error: document 2 doesn’t understand the “save” message." number -1708 from document 2
If I try close window 1 I get this:
error "Adobe Acrobat Pro got an error: window 1 doesn’t understand the “close” message." number -1708 from window 1
What am I doing wrong here?
Adobe Acrobat XI Pro 11.0.23, macOS High Sierra 10.13.4, AppleScript 2.7, Script Editor 2.10 (194)