16
votes

I recently discovered the stroke width transform, as documented in the following research paper:

The algorithm is intended for detecting and extracting text from natural scenes.

However, I could not find any implementation, and from the paper I find it hard to determine all the details regarding the algorithm so I can implement it in practice. Does anyone know if this algorithm is implemented and used in practice in a system? Is there a C# or Java implementation of it?

2
Matlab implementation using C++ mex file can be found in this answer. - Shai
The link to the paper is broken. Can you include a full citation, including the title of the paper and the authors of the paper and where it was published, so we can find it again in the future? Now there is no clear way to identify which paper you are talking about. - D.W.

2 Answers

27
votes

My friend Andrew and I implemented Stoke Width Transform (SWT) on a mobile phone during a class project at Cornell. Maybe you can get hint from the report.

The report: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/courses/cs4670/2010fa/projects/final/results/group_of_arp86_sk2357/Writeup.pdf

Our code: https://sites.google.com/site/roboticssaurav/strokewidthnokia

Updated code: https://github.com/aperrau/DetectText

7
votes

Here is code that does what you asked for: http://libccv.org/doc/doc-swt/

Other projects that are relevant: