8
votes

I am trying to get an AWS Lambda function to run whenever a new image is pushed to an AWS container registry. I have created and tested the function which works fine. I have then created a simple CloudWatch event rule with the pattern:

{
  "source": [
    "aws.ecr"
  ]
}

which I believe will trigger on any event from ECR.

The rule has a target of the lambda function. The problem is the function is not called when a new image is pushed to the registry (or deleted etc). Nothing appears in the CloudWatch logs for the function. Is there something missing from the event rule or a way to diagnose what could be going wrong?

1
Could you share the full detailed as an answer to your own question? would definetly vote that up :) I have the exact same task and I'm quite new to this stuff, I would settle for the lambda code you used. - Naim Salameh

1 Answers

10
votes

CloudTrail records PutImage event and can write it to CloudWatch Logs. An Alarm can be triggered whenever a PutImage event is written in CloudWatch Logs which can further trigger a Lambda Function through SNS.

You would create a Logs Metric Filter, Something like this.

{ ($.eventSource = ecr.amazonaws.com) && ($.eventName = PutImage) && ($.requestParameters.repositoryName = “<RepoName>”) && ($.errorCode NOT EXISTS) }

or

You need to configure the ECR CloudTrail API Calls Events.

{
  "source": [
    "aws.ecr"
  ],
  "detail-type": [
    "AWS API Call via CloudTrail"
  ],
  "detail": {
    "eventSource": [
      "ecr.amazonaws.com"
    ]
  }
}