12
votes

I am trying to set up a Firebase database that only I can write. So no user will have permission to write anything. But everyone will be able to read it.

However, I could not set up the rules for it. I have one admin user that I created using Email/Password login, and I know its UID. Let's say my UID is: dJrGShfgfd2

I tried these two methods, but they didn't allow me to write to database.

{
  "rules": {
    "events": {
      ".read": true,
      ".write": "auth.uid === 'dJrGShfgfd2'"
    }
  }
}

.

{
  "rules": {
    "users": {
      "$user_id": {
        ".read" : true,
        ".write": "$user_id === 'dJrGShfgfd2'"
      }
    }
  }
}

So how do I allow only one user with a specific UID to write anything to database?

1
The rules in the first snippet should be okay. They should grant write access to the events path for the admin and read access for others. - cartant
Wait I dont have events path or something in my database. How do I define write rules that apply everywhere? - yigitserin
You have events in your rules hierarchy. If there is no such key in the database, remove it and move the .read and .write up under rules. - cartant
Answer below. If that doesn't work, share the minimal code that reproduces the problem: so the code that is allowed to write, that you don't want to be allowed. - Frank van Puffelen

1 Answers

26
votes

This should work:

{
  "rules": {
    ".read": true,
    ".write": "auth.uid === 'dJrGShfgfd2'"
  }
}

Everyone in the world will be able to read the data, but only the user with UID dJrGShfgfd2 (and processes with administrative access) can write the data.