17
votes

I am building a shiny app that requires a user to select a folder on the local machine, which contains the files to be processed by the app.

I am using a solution proposed here. This works fine on a local machine, but does not work if the app is deployed to a shinyapps server. The author of this solution confirmed that it was only designed to work with local Shiny apps, since it makes OS shell calls to display a directory dialog.

I am wondering if there is a different solution for directory dialog, which will work on the deployed Shiny apps (I am deploying to shinyapps.io).

Edited: Notice that I cannot use fileInput interface for two reasons:

  1. The users of the app are not technical people and they do not know which files inside the folder are used by the app.
  2. The selected folder may contain other folders within which the needed files reside, such that it is impossible to select all files at once, even if the fileInput interface has the multiple option enabled.

The folder/files structure is not something I can change, it is downloaded AS IS from a medical device and therefore the only thing I can expect from the users is to specify the parent folder and the rest should be done inside the R code.

2
Are you deploying to shinyapps.io or do you have your own shiny-server? - Carl Boneri
Either way the best solution in my opinion is rather than store the directory files locally, move the folders to dropbox, then use the rdrop2 package to call whatever folder the user selects and source the data once files are downloaded into the apps working environment - Carl Boneri
Hi Carl. Currently I am deploying to shinyapps.io. I am planning to use dropbox in the backend to store the data that is uploaded. However, the users of my app should be able to upload their files from their computers directly though the app interface without dropbox. - Sasha
Oh..I see, I thought you were sourcing from your directories. Why not just use the shiny fileUpload function? - Carl Boneri
fileUpload uploads a single file, but I need to upload all files in the directory specified by the user... - Sasha

2 Answers

12
votes

This is a working example based on using the "webkitdirectory" attribute. At the moment the attribute is supported by Chrome, Opera and Safari (mobile and desktop) and it should be supported in Firefox 49 to be released in September. More about this here. It work with subdirectories also.

It requires using the tags keyword in ui.R. I have tested it by uploading three csv files each contaning three numbers separeted by a coma. Tested locally and on shinyapps.io with Chrome and Opera. This is the code:

ui.R

    library(shiny)
    library(DT)

    shinyUI(tagList(fluidPage(theme = "bootstrap.css",
                      includeScript("./www/text.js"),
                      titlePanel("Folder content upload"),

                      fluidRow(
                              column(4,
                                     wellPanel(
                                             tags$div(class="form-group shiny-input-container", 
                                                      tags$div(tags$label("File input")),
                                                      tags$div(tags$label("Choose folder", class="btn btn-primary",
                                                                          tags$input(id = "fileIn", webkitdirectory = TRUE, type = "file", style="display: none;", onchange="pressed()"))),
                                                      tags$label("No folder choosen", id = "noFile"),
                                                      tags$div(id="fileIn_progress", class="progress progress-striped active shiny-file-input-progress",
                                                               tags$div(class="progress-bar")
                                                      )     
                                             ),
                                             verbatimTextOutput("results")
                                     )
                              ),
                              column(8,
                                     tabsetPanel(
                                             tabPanel("Files table", dataTableOutput("tbl")),
                                             tabPanel("Files list", dataTableOutput("tbl2"))
                                     )
                              )
                      )
    ),
    HTML("<script type='text/javascript' src='getFolders.js'></script>")
    )

    )          

server.R

    library(shiny)
    library(ggplot2)
    library(DT)

    shinyServer(function(input, output, session) {
            df <- reactive({
                    inFiles <- input$fileIn
                    df <- data.frame()
                    if (is.null(inFiles))
                            return(NULL)
                    for (i in seq_along(inFiles$datapath)) {
                            tmp <- read.csv(inFiles$datapath[i], header = FALSE)  
                            df <- rbind(df, tmp)
                    }
                    df

            })
            output$tbl <- DT::renderDataTable(
                    df()
            )
            output$tbl2 <- DT::renderDataTable(
                    input$fileIn
            )
            output$results = renderPrint({
                    input$mydata
            })

    })

text.js

window.pressed = function(){
        var a = document.getElementById('fileIn');
        if(a.value === "")
        {
            noFile.innerHTML = "No folder choosen";
        }
        else
        {
            noFile.innerHTML = "";
        }
    };

getFolders.js

     document.getElementById("fileIn").addEventListener("change", function(e) {

            let files = e.target.files;
            var arr = new Array(files.length*2);
            for (let i=0; i<files.length; i++) {

            //console.log(files[i].webkitRelativePath);
            //console.log(files[i].name);
            arr[i] = files[i].webkitRelativePath;
            arr[i+files.length] = files[i].name;


            }

            Shiny.onInputChange("mydata", arr);

    });

Let me know if this helps.

12
votes

Have you tried around with the shinyFiles package? There is a widget which lets you chose a directory. As output you get the path of that directory which you can in turn use to access the files. Here is an example how it works.

server

library(shiny)
library(shinyFiles)

shinyServer(function(input, output, session) {

  # dir
  shinyDirChoose(input, 'dir', roots = c(home = '~'), filetypes = c('', 'txt'))
  dir <- reactive(input$dir)
  output$dir <- renderPrint(dir())

  # path
  path <- reactive({
    home <- normalizePath("~")
    file.path(home, paste(unlist(dir()$path[-1]), collapse = .Platform$file.sep))
  })

  # files
  output$files <- renderPrint(list.files(path()))
}) 

ui

library(shiny)
library(shinyFiles)

shinyUI(fluidPage(sidebarLayout(

  sidebarPanel(
    shinyDirButton("dir", "Chose directory", "Upload")
  ),

  mainPanel(
    h4("output$dir"),
    verbatimTextOutput("dir"), br(),
    h4("Files in that dir"),
    verbatimTextOutput("files")
  )

))) 

Hope this helps.