I'm running into a "Grant Access" problem with Office 2016 where I have to manually click "Grant Access" if I'm opening a new file with Automator. I found this answer for how to get around it (by using a file object or an alias object instead of a string):
tell application "Microsoft Excel"
activate
open file "Macintosh HD:Users:path:to:file"
end tell
But since I'm using an Automator folder action, I'm not sure how to get that file path where it needs to be. Most of the examples I found has the AppleScript use choose folder with prompt but since the whole point of this is to be fully automated, that's not going to work.
The idea is:
- Excel file gets downloaded into "ForSQL" folder
- Folder action prompts xls file to convert into csv
- csv then opens in TextWrangle to ensure it stays in UTF-8
- Then moves it to official "SQL" folder
- Closes all the applications it opened and deletes whatever it moved from the "ForSQL" folder
But I'm open to better suggestions that get to the same end result.
This is my Automator workflow so far -- but it looks like I need to replace the 'Convert Format of Excel Files' step with AppleScript to get the "Grant Access" pop-up to go away. It's a folder action that starts when something hits the "ForSQL" folder:
