after installing django I tried django-admin.py startproject mysite and that worked, then I got a simple site working and I wanted to start on something real, so I tried django-admin.py startproject newsite and nothing happened. Whenever I try the command nothing happens now.. any idea what is wrong?
14 Answers
For anyone stumbling across this now, this problem is a result of Windows not obeying the #!C:\Path\To\Virtualenv\Scripts\Python.exe hashbang at the top of django-admin.py, and therefore running it with the wrong python.exe (evidently a virtualenv bug).
However, with virtualenv active, you can use the following command, which will result in the correct python being used, and everything being ok:
python C:\Path\To\Virtualenv\Scripts\django-admin.py startproject <project_name>
If you are running Windows for a quick fix you can create a batch file with the following values:
@echo off
@echo "Enter Proyect name"
set /p proj_name=
set building="Building django project %proj_name%"
@echo %building%
python c:/Python27/Scripts/django-admin.py startproject %proj_name%
pause
I named the file "django.bat" and to use it you can just simply add a copy in the directory you want to start the project, execute the file and it will ask you for a project name, provide one and then Voila!!
Hope this helps.
If everything is installed properly, when you open the command prompt, navigate to the desktop folder with
cd C:\Users\YOURNAME\Desktop
then type
django-admin startproject YOURPROJECTNAME
The project should appear on your desktop.
If you didn't navigate to your desktop folder and run the command there, your project could be placed in the windows\system32 folder on the C drive.
Try out this way.
1> Look where your python is installed if cannot find it in C:/ Python().
$ python
Python 2.6.6 (r266:84297, Aug 24 2010, 18:13:38) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import sys
>>> sys.executable
'c:\\Python26\\python.exe'
>>> sys.exec_prefix
'c:\\Python26'
>>>
>>> print '\n'.join(sys.path)
c:\Python26\lib\site-packages\setuptools-0.6c11-py2.6.egg
c:\Python26\lib\site-packages\nose-1.0.0-py2.6.egg
C:\Windows\system32\python26.zip
c:\Python26\DLLs
c:\Python26\lib
c:\Python26\lib\plat-win
c:\Python26\lib\lib-tk
c:\Python26
c:\Python26\lib\site-packages
c:\Python26\lib\site-packages\win32
c:\Python26\lib\site-packages\win32\lib
c:\Python26\lib\site-packages\Pythonwin
c:\Python26\lib\site-packages\wx-2.8-msw-unicode
2> After that move into Scripts folder. There you may find django-admin.py. Now copy full path of that file.
3>Now run this command
python path of the file startproject name of Project
eg. python C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python35-32\Scripts\django-admin.py startproject mysite
hope this will work.
Even I faced the same problem. I even tried adding the directory to Environmental variables but it was not working, so I had to use python -m django for it, but it didn't satisfy me, so I did a tricky thing.
Instead of adding the directory to Environmental variables, I copied the installed package and pasted it to the first directory (default directory) in environmental variable and it started working.