7
votes

I have Visio 2016 professional installed, which by all my research should support database reverse engineering.

Every guide I find says to go to the Software and Database category and select "Database Model Diagram" for the Database tab to pop up with the option for reverse engineering.

I do not see this template in my list available, and the one's I've tried don't make the Database tab visible. Am I missing something from my list, or which one would allow this functionality? If I have one that supports the functionality, how would I enable it?

enter image description here

4

4 Answers

8
votes

The database reverse engineering code was removed in Visio Professional 2016 because of some issues, but it was announced late last year that it will be returning this year. In the meantime, you may find my following blog useful : Creating a schema from Visio External Data Recordsets

4
votes

The Visio Add-in for Database Modeling is available as a separate download for Visio Pro for Office 365 only.

The package is available for download here.
Info on system requirements, installation, and usage is here

0
votes

If you can, install an earlier version of Visio (2007).

0
votes

Apparently ain't gonna happen, unless you use 365. Grrr...Screen Shot - Visio Desktop not supported