53
votes

No matter what I've got selected in Interface Builder, the Inspector did apparently not register the selection and only showed "No selection".

I tried opening and closing files, restarting Xcode and even rebooting my Mac. No change! What the heck is going on?

Other projects work just fine. It's just this project...

12

12 Answers

125
votes

This was driving me crazy for a long time. I found nothing here on Stackoverflow about this, and not by googling either, initially.

Luckily, after googling a couple of different ways, I finally found the simple solution here.

Snipped from that site:

Here’s how you can fix it in two steps without even having to restart Xcode:

  • Select another file (which isn’t an Interface Builder type) in the current tab with the issue.
  • Open a new tab and select the Interface Builder file which was having the problem.

Shame on you, Apple!

23
votes

In Xcode 8.3, the preferred solution doesn't appear to work. My solution, similar to travdu, was to click the "Show the version editor" button (the two arrows pointing left and right), then back to the "Show the Standard editor". Doing that fixed it for me.

16
votes

MOST SIMPLE SOLUTION:

(For each of those who has tried all the above options like me, try this once):

  1. Switch to the LaunchScreen.storyboard from your Main.storyboard

  2. See if you can access all the Inspectors on right side in LaunchScreen.storyboard .

if yes,

  1. Switch back to Main.storyboard

Always work for me! Hope this also help to someone. Thanks!

EDIT 1:

Above solution works for xib only projects too.

13
votes

There is also possibility in Xcode 7.3.1. to switch between "Standard editor" and "Assistant editor" in the upper right corner to "deal" with this bug.

Click between first two icons

1
votes

Open the file in the new tab and it will work fine

0
votes

I just run into the same issue. And I see there is solution already but it could help others: make sure you are in the Main.storyboard and not in the LaunchScreen.storyboard

Hope it helps!

0
votes

The bug is weird. And all answers didn't help me. The following steps were useful for me:

  • go to project file.
  • Click on the button near "Launch Images Source"

After that Xcode shows assets in the proper way.

0
votes

For me the bug was caused by missing interface restoration. I think it happens when I open the project file where the Assets editor was open last time. If I close the tab which containts the Assets editor, quit Xcode then open the project again, works fine.

0
votes

After trying above all tricks, I just made a copy somewhere of the file which has the issue and deleted that file from Xcode. Opened it directly from there and file seemed good. Dragging it to the project solved this heinous issue.

0
votes

none of the above answers worked for me, what worked was, there is a filter text box in bottom right and for some reason some random text was typed in that, just clearing that text box fixed the issue.

0
votes

If the above solutions don't work, try adding an object (e.g a label) onto the main storyboard. Brought all the inspectors back for me with Xcode 7.3.

0
votes

I just experienced that the "Utility Area doesn't display anything" symptom, with Xcode version 9.0. Thanks for the tips! In my case, after I closed all the files displayed in the Assistant Editor, you would think it is totally not related, but it worked again! (Before that, I tried to restart Xcode, restart iOS, none of them was working.)