Being a long time user of Red Gate's ANTS Performance Profiler, I'm currently searching for a way to do profiling on non-development machines.
We have a rather large user base of a WinForms application, written in .NET 4.
Users every now and then complain about poor performance.
Since I cannot buy and install ANTS on every customer's PC, I'm thinking about something like:
- Add some magic code to my application that uses the .NET Profiling API.
- Provide a switch in my application to enable profiling tracing.
- Tell the user to activate the switch.
- Let the API record performance "events" for some time.
- Tell the customer to ship me the recorded logs.
- Open the logs in some fancy GUI to analyse the hotspots.
My question:
Is it somehow possible to use the .NET profiling API to include offline performance hotspot recording to analyse later on?
Update 1:
I've just found the "dotTrace Perfomance API" which introduces the term self-profiling which seems to be just what I'm looking form.
Checking the article now…