I use WordPress for several websites. I want to customize one of the RSS feeds and create a template for the outputted data but everytime I click on the feed link (myurl.com/feed) it takes me to a Google page to add it to my Google Reader. I use Google Reader and normally want everything else to default to that, but how can I override it this one time so I can see the raw xml/rss feed? Thanks.
5
votes
This is not a programming question. It's trouble with browser settings.
- Harmen
Well since I'm trying to customize my Wordpress RSS template, I figured there'd be some kind of plugin or php code I could use. Or someone would know how to override Google's default setting. Thanks! :)
- RodeoRamsey
I'm having the same problem. I've tried Chrome, Firefox and Safari. I'm on a Mac. All of those have some sort of alternative formatting for rss feeds. None of them will show the feed as it is. If it's trouble with a browser setting, then does anyone know what that setting is to fix it? I've tried using Chrome's "view-source: feed.com/url" but it did not work either. I hate these readers and I never want them to show up on my computer, but I cannot find an option to turn it off.
- Tyler
5 Answers
6
votes
3
votes
A solution that doesn't require using different browsers:
In Firefox preferences, select Applications and search for "Web Feeds." Changing the action to "Preview in Firefox" allows Firefox to load the feed itself, instead of google reader. It has a "gussied up" display of the feed in the browser, but you can also view the source to see the actual text of the feed.
2
votes
You can use a difference broswer, though most browsers will apply an xsl stylesheet to raw feed data by detecting that its a feed using the http response content type header. I know that Google Chrome shows some kind of raw data for rss feeds though its not exactly pure xml.
You can Use Fiddler to see the response. Or use some other http sniffer tool.
0
votes