27
votes

I know the flask function render_template. I have to give the file name of the template. But now I want to render the string of a template (that is the content of the template). That makes sense. but I don't want to explain now why. How can I render the text of a template simply?

4
Just open the template file and return it as a string. - OneCricketeer
But if i do that (i have flask-bootstrap extension installed) it will give me these things: {% extends "bootstrap/base.html" %} etc. as plain text and not handled. - Faminator
Is that not your question? How can I render the text of a template simply? - OneCricketeer
Yeah, but it doesn't handle the things in {...} - Faminator
So i want a simple solution not a simple template - Faminator

4 Answers

51
votes

You can use render_template_string:

>>> from flask import render_template_string
>>> render_template_string('hello {{ what }}', what='world')
'hello world'
2
votes

you can use from_string

template = "text {{ hello }}"
print app.jinja_env.from_string(template).render(hello='Hello')

>> text Hello
2
votes

Actually you can call jinja2 render function directly:

jinja2.Template("I am {{ var }}").render(**kargs)

When not working with flask, this is useful

0
votes

Taken from What's the easiest way to escape HTML in Python.

import cgi
rendered = render_template('template.html')
return cgi.escape(rendered)