3
votes

I was trying to run Fiddler (v4.6.0.2, built August 17, 2015) to capture outgoing requests from a C# WebAPI application (.NET 4.5.2) to Amazon web services.

I have set the proxy configuration in web.config (the application is running under my domain user account) as per the Amazon documentation as well as the Telerik documentation:

<aws region="us-west-2" profileName="xxxxxxxxxxxxxx">
  <proxy host="127.0.0.1" port="8888"/>
</aws>

<system.net>
  <defaultProxy enabled="true">
    <proxy usesystemdefault="False" bypassonlocal="False" proxyaddress="http://127.0.0.1:8888" />
  </defaultProxy>
</system.net>

When Fiddler runs, it dutifully captures all traffic coming from my browser. I know that my application is routing its web requests properly because if I turn Fiddler off, I get exceptions due to being unable to connect to the proxy. However, the problem is none of the application's requests to Amazon are showing up in Fiddler. I turned off all filters in Fiddler to make sure I hadn't accidentally hidden those requests.

I also tried it in a Windows console application connecting to internal web services and I had the same behavior. Am I missing any other settings? Thanks.

2

2 Answers

0
votes

I typically do not proxy through fiddler for my web apps.

I do however ensure that my app pool for the site is running as my domain user account, and then I am able to inspect traffic between my (local) web server, and external services.

I also use full IIS, not Casini or other in-built web server.

Finally, I also have an entry in my hosts file (local.mydomain.com) pointing to 127.0.0.1 and connect to my test site via that url

-1
votes

If the proxy settings cause your app to work only while Fiddler is running and fail when it's not, you have a Filter set in Fiddler that's hiding the traffic. Click the Help > Troubleshoot menu in Fiddler and try again.

If not:

I don't think I understand what the aws XML section in your screenshot is meant to represent?

Is there some reason you've capitalized False in your xml?

Did you edit the appropriate config file for the bitness of your application? Are you editing app.exe.config or machine.config?