41
votes

I have created a very basic simple function on AWS Lambda which will be used to accept form submissions.

Part of the function will be to send an email to a particular person, pretty simple. I am trying to use AWS SES in order to do this. I have setup the SES service etc, and verified the account I wish to send to and have been able to send out a test email. All works!!

Now when I try and do the same within AWS Lambda and use the aws sdk it doesn't send out the email. I don't get an error or anything.

Below is the code that I am using for the AWS Lambda function.

Has anyone had any experience using lambda and sending emails via ses, through a lambda function? Or even just using the node.js aws sdk would more than likely be helpful.

var aws = require('aws-sdk');
var ses = new aws.SES({
   accessKeyId: 'myAccessKey',
   secretAccesskey: 'mySecretKey',
   region: 'eu-west-1' 
});

exports.handler = function(event, context) {
    console.log("Incoming: ", event);
    var output = querystring.parse(event);

    var eParams = {
        Destination: {
            ToAddresses: ["[email protected]"]
        },
        Message: {
            Body: {
                Text: {
                    Data: output.Key1
                }
            },
            Subject: {
                Data: "Ses Test Email"
            }
        },
        Source: "[email protected]"
    };

    console.log('===SENDING EMAIL===');
    var email = ses.sendEmail(eParams, function(err, data){
        if(err) console.log(err);
        else {
            console.log("===EMAIL SENT===");
            console.log(data);
        }
    });
    console.log("EMAIL CODE END");
    console.log('EMAIL: ', email);
    context.succeed(event);
};
3
AccessKey is not required. Recommended approach is to use IAM Roles to manage access. - swogger
can you do this from the clientside? - SuperUberDuper
Haven't tried but don't see why not? - Darren
Yes I second @swogger, always should use roles where ever possible which reduces the risk of secret keys getting exposed any since being a plain text javascript on console, is more risky than a packaged lambda code. - Kartik Narayana Maringanti

3 Answers

28
votes

It would appear that I had the context.succeed(event) placed in the wrong area of code.

Once I moved it into the sendEmail callback all worked.

var aws = require('aws-sdk');
var ses = new aws.SES({
  accessKeyId: 'myAccessKey',
  secretAccesskey: 'mySecretKey',
  region: 'eu-west-1' 
});

exports.handler = function(event, context) {
  console.log("Incoming: ", event);
  var output = querystring.parse(event);

  var eParams = {
    Destination: {
        ToAddresses: ["[email protected]"]
    },
    Message: {
        Body: {
            Text: {
                Data: output.Key1
            }
        },
        Subject: {
            Data: "Ses Test Email"
        }
    },
    Source: "[email protected]"
};

console.log('===SENDING EMAIL===');
var email = ses.sendEmail(eParams, function(err, data){
    if(err) {
       console.log(err);
       context.fail(err);
    } else {
        console.log("===EMAIL SENT===");
        console.log("EMAIL CODE END");
        console.log('EMAIL: ', email);
        console.log(data);
        context.succeed(event);
    }
});};
0
votes

This is because Lambda freezes the container when the function exits and any async processes are frozen, such as your email. This is especially true with Node. See Lambda Programming Model. http://docs.aws.amazon.com/lambda/latest/dg/lambda-introduction.html

0
votes

My case is: when you set VPC, the issue happens cause of internet limitation access.

If you remove VPC, everything works fine.

It seems a AWS bug for me.

I opened today a AWS Support for it.

No anwers yet.