I have a pipeline with goroutines connected by channels so that each goroutine will trigger another one until all have run. Put even simpler, imagine two goroutines A and B so that when A is done it should tell B it can run.
It's working fine and I have tried a few variants as I have learnt more about pipelines in Go.
Currently I have a signalling channel
ch := make(chan struct{})
go A(ch)
go B(ch)
...
that B blocks on
func B(ch <-chan struct{}) {
<-ch
...
and A closes when done
func A(ch chan struct{}) {
defer close(ch)
...
}
This works fine and I also tried, instead of closing, sending an empty struct struct{} in A().
Is there any difference between closing the channel or sending the empty struct? Is either way cheaper / faster / better?
Naturally, sending any other type in the channel takes up "some" amount of memory, but how is it with the empty struct? Close is just part of the channel so not "sent" as such even if information is passed between goroutines.
I'm well aware of premature optimization. This is only to understand things, not to optimize anything.
Maybe there's an idiomatic Go way to do this even?
Thanks for any clarification on this!