37
votes

I have managed to work with the bulk insert in SQLAlchemy like:

conn.execute(addresses.insert(), [ 
   {'user_id': 1, 'email_address' : '[email protected]'},
   {'user_id': 1, 'email_address' : '[email protected]'},
   {'user_id': 2, 'email_address' : '[email protected]'},
   {'user_id': 2, 'email_address' : '[email protected]'},
])

What I need now is something equivalent for update. I have tried this:

conn.execute(addresses.insert(), [ 
   {'user_id': 1, 'email_address' : '[email protected]', 'id':12},
   {'user_id': 1, 'email_address' : '[email protected]', 'id':13},
   {'user_id': 2, 'email_address' : '[email protected]', 'id':14},
   {'user_id': 2, 'email_address' : '[email protected]', 'id':15},
])

expecting that each row gets updated according to the 'id' field, but it doesn't work. I assume that it is because I have not specified a WHERE clause, but I don't know how to specify a WHERE clause using data that is included in the dictionary.

Can somebody help me?

3

3 Answers

68
votes

Read Inserts, Updates and Deletes section of the documentation. Following code should get you started:

from sqlalchemy.sql.expression import bindparam
stmt = addresses.update().\
    where(addresses.c.id == bindparam('_id')).\
    values({
        'user_id': bindparam('user_id'),
        'email_address': bindparam('email_address'),
    })

conn.execute(stmt, [
    {'user_id': 1, 'email_address' : '[email protected]', '_id':1},
    {'user_id': 1, 'email_address' : '[email protected]', '_id':2},
    {'user_id': 2, 'email_address' : '[email protected]', '_id':3},
    {'user_id': 2, 'email_address' : '[email protected]', '_id':4},
])
22
votes

The session has function called bulk_insert_mappings and bulk_update_mappings: documentation.

Be aware that you have to provide primary key in mappings

# List of dictionary including primary key
user_mappings = [{
    'user_id': 1, # This is pk?
    'email_address': '[email protected]',
    '_id': 1
}, ...]

session.bulk_update_mappings(User, user_mappings)
session.commit()
2
votes

@Jongbin Park's solution DID work for me with a composite primary key. (Azure SQL Server).

update_vals = []
update_vals.append(dict(Name='name_a', StartDate='2020-05-26 20:17:32', EndDate='2020-05-26 20:46:03', Comment='TEST COMMENT 1'))
update_vals.append(dict(Name='name_b', StartDate='2020-05-26 21:31:16', EndDate='2020-05-26 21:38:37', Comment='TEST COMMENT 2'))
s.bulk_update_mappings(MyTable, update_vals)
s.commit()

where Name, StartDate, and EndDate are all part of the composite pk. 'Comment' is the value to update in the db