129
votes

I am using Thymeleaf as template engine. How I pass a variable from Spring model to JavaScript variable?

Spring-side:

@RequestMapping(value = "message", method = RequestMethod.GET)
public String messages(Model model) {
    model.addAttribute("message", "hello");
    return "index";
}

Client-side:

<script>
    ....
    var m = ${message}; // not working
    alert(m);
    ...
</script>
9

9 Answers

224
votes

According to the official documentation:

<script th:inline="javascript">
/*<![CDATA[*/

    var message = /*[[${message}]]*/ 'default';
    console.log(message);

/*]]>*/
</script>
20
votes
var message =/*[[${message}]]*/ 'defaultanyvalue';
20
votes

Thymeleaf 3 now:

  • Display a constant:

    <script th:inline="javascript">
    var MY_URL = /*[[${T(com.xyz.constants.Fruits).cheery}]]*/ "";
    </script>
    
  • Display a variable:

    var message = [[${message}]];
    
  • Or in a comment to have a valid JavaScript code when you open your template file in a static manner (without executing it at a server).

    Thymeleaf calls this: JavaScript natural templates

    var message = /*[[${message}]]*/ "";
    

    Thymeleaf will ignore everything we have written after the comment and before the semicolon.

More info: http://www.thymeleaf.org/doc/tutorials/3.0/usingthymeleaf.html#javascript-inlining

13
votes

According to the documentation there are several ways to do the inlining.
The right way you must choose based on the situation.

1) Simply put the variable from server to javascript :

<script th:inline="javascript">
/*<![CDATA[*/

var message = [[${message}]];
alert(message);

/*]]>*/
</script>

2) Combine javascript variables with server side variables, e.g. you need to create link for requesting inside the javascript:

<script th:inline="javascript">
        /*<![CDATA[*/
        function sampleGetByJquery(v) {
            /*[+
            var url = [[@{/my/get/url(var1=${#httpServletRequest.getParameter('var1')})}]] 
                      + "&var2="+v;
             +]*/
            $("#myPanel").load(url, function() {});
        }
        /*]]>*/
        </script>

The one situation I can't resolve - then I need to pass javascript variable inside the Java method calling inside the template (it's impossible I guess).

12
votes

MAKE sure you have thymleaf on page already

//Use this in java
@Controller
@RequestMapping("/showingTymleafTextInJavaScript")
public String thankYou(Model model){
 model.addAttribute("showTextFromJavaController","dummy text");
 return "showingTymleafTextInJavaScript";
}


//thymleaf page  javascript page
<script>
var showtext = "[[${showTextFromJavaController}]]";
console.log(showtext);
</script>
7
votes

I've seen this kind of thing work in the wild:

<input type="button"  th:onclick="'javascript:getContactId(\'' + ${contact.id} + '\');'" />
2
votes

If you use Thymeleaf 3:

<script th:inline="javascript">
    var username = [[${session.user.name}]];
</script>
1
votes

Another way to do it is to create a dynamic javascript returned by a java controller like it is written here in the thymeleaf forum: http://forum.thymeleaf.org/Can-I-use-th-inline-for-a-separate-javascript-file-td4025766.html

One way to handle this is to create a dynamic javascript file with the URLs embedded in it. Here are the steps (if you are using Spring MVC)

@RequestMapping(path = {"/dynamic.js"}, method = RequestMethod.GET, produces = "application/javascript")
@ResponseStatus(value = HttpStatus.OK)
@ResponseBody
public String dynamicJS(HttpServletRequest request) {

        return "Your javascript code....";

}


  
0
votes

If you need to display your variable unescaped, use this format:

<script th:inline="javascript">
/*<![CDATA[*/

    var message = /*[(${message})]*/ 'default';

/*]]>*/
</script>

Note the [( brackets which wrap the variable.