I seem to be struggling with the std::io::TcpStream. I'm actually trying to open a TCP connection with another system but the below code emulates the problem exactly.
I have a Tcp server that simply writes "Hello World" to the TcpStream upon opening and then loops to keep the connection open.
fn main() {
let listener = io::TcpListener::bind("127.0.0.1", 8080);
let mut acceptor = listener.listen();
for stream in acceptor.incoming() {
match stream {
Err(_) => { /* connection failed */ }
Ok(stream) => spawn(proc() {
handle(stream);
})
}
}
drop(acceptor);
}
fn handle(mut stream: io::TcpStream) {
stream.write(b"Hello Connection");
loop {}
}
All the client does is attempt to read a single byte from the connection and print it.
fn main() {
let mut socket = io::TcpStream::connect("127.0.0.1", 8080).unwrap();
loop {
match socket.read_byte() {
Ok(i) => print!("{}", i),
Err(e) => {
println!("Error: {}", e);
break
}
}
}
}
Now the problem is my client remains blocked on the read until I kill the server or close the TCP connection. This is not what I want, I need to open a TCP connection for a very long time and send messages back and forth between client and server. What am I misunderstanding here? I have the exact same problem with the real system i'm communicating with - I only become unblocked once I kill the connection.