74
votes

I want to convert a struct to map in Golang. It would also be nice if I could use the JSON tags as keys in the created map (otherwise defaulting to field name).

Edit Dec 14, 2020

Since structs repo was archived, you can use mapstructure instead.

Edit TL;DR version, Jun 15, 2015

If you want the fast solution for converting a structure to map, see the accepted answer, upvote it and use that package.

Happy coding! :)


Original Post

So far I have this function, I am using the reflect package but I don't understand well how to use the package, please bear with me.

func ConvertToMap(model interface{}) bson.M {
    ret := bson.M{}

    modelReflect := reflect.ValueOf(model)

    if modelReflect.Kind() == reflect.Ptr {
        modelReflect = modelReflect.Elem()
    }

    modelRefType := modelReflect.Type()
    fieldsCount := modelReflect.NumField()

    var fieldData interface{}

    for i := 0; i < fieldsCount; i++ {
        field := modelReflect.Field(i)

        switch field.Kind() {
        case reflect.Struct:
            fallthrough
        case reflect.Ptr:
            fieldData = ConvertToMap(field.Interface())
        default:
            fieldData = field.Interface()
        }

        ret[modelRefType.Field(i).Name] = fieldData
    }

    return ret
}

Also I looked at JSON package source code, because it should contain my needed implementation (or parts of it) but don't understand too much.

6
Is there a particular goal you're trying to achieve here? If you are dealing with the mgo/bson package (which seems possible due to the use of bson.M), can't it already perform a conversion from a struct similar to encoding/json? - James Henstridge
It involves reflection, package reflect, and it is both slow and a royal pain to use; the json package is that way because using reflection is hard. My advice would be either to use something that already does the reflection parts for you (object-to-DB interfaces like gorp or mgo, builtin packages like json) or use (possibly repetitive) handwritten code to avoid reflection entirely. It's a situation where the approach that's natural and efficient in, say, JavaScript just isn't in Go. - twotwotwo
github.com/mitchellh/mapstructure - but listen to James. In this case there is no reason to try and do this. - elithrar
@eAbi First line of the README: "mapstructure is a Go library for decoding generic map values to structures and vice versa." (emphasis my own) - elithrar
@elithrar Yes I saw that. I'm sorry I looked several times on that library but didn't saw that vice versa. I looked at it on godoc but couldn't see how to convert from struct to map. Anyway, thanks. - eAbi

6 Answers

146
votes

I also had need for something like this. I was using an internal package which was converting a struct to a map. I decided to open source it with other struct based high level functions. Have a look:

https://github.com/fatih/structs

It has support for:

  • Convert struct to a map
  • Extract the fields of a struct to a []string
  • Extract the values of a struct to a []values
  • Check if a struct is initialized or not
  • Check if a passed interface is a struct or a pointer to struct

You can see some examples here: http://godoc.org/github.com/fatih/structs#pkg-examples For example converting a struct to a map is a simple:

type Server struct {
    Name    string
    ID      int32
    Enabled bool
}

s := &Server{
    Name:    "gopher",
    ID:      123456,
    Enabled: true,
}

// => {"Name":"gopher", "ID":123456, "Enabled":true}
m := structs.Map(s)

The structs package has support for anonymous (embedded) fields and nested structs. The package provides to filter certain fields via field tags.

56
votes

From struct to map[string]interface{}

package main

import (
    "fmt"
    "encoding/json"
)

type MyData struct {
    One   int
    Two   string
    Three int
}

func main() {   
    in := &MyData{One: 1, Two: "second"}

    var inInterface map[string]interface{}
    inrec, _ := json.Marshal(in)
    json.Unmarshal(inrec, &inInterface)

    // iterate through inrecs
    for field, val := range inInterface {
            fmt.Println("KV Pair: ", field, val)
    }
}

go playground here

18
votes

Here is a function I've written in the past to convert a struct to a map, using tags as keys

// ToMap converts a struct to a map using the struct's tags.
//
// ToMap uses tags on struct fields to decide which fields to add to the
// returned map.
func ToMap(in interface{}, tag string) (map[string]interface{}, error){
    out := make(map[string]interface{})

    v := reflect.ValueOf(in)
    if v.Kind() == reflect.Ptr {
        v = v.Elem()
    }

    // we only accept structs
    if v.Kind() != reflect.Struct {
        return nil, fmt.Errorf("ToMap only accepts structs; got %T", v)
    }

    typ := v.Type()
    for i := 0; i < v.NumField(); i++ {
        // gets us a StructField
        fi := typ.Field(i)
        if tagv := fi.Tag.Get(tag); tagv != "" {
            // set key of map to value in struct field
            out[tagv] = v.Field(i).Interface()
        }
    }
    return out, nil
}

Runnable example here.

Note, if you have multiple fields with the same tag value, then you will obviously not be able to store them all within a map. It might be prudent to return an error if that happens.

7
votes

I like the importable package for the accepted answer, but it does not translate my json aliases. Most of my projects have a helper function/class that I import.

Here is a function that solves my specific problem.


// Converts a struct to a map while maintaining the json alias as keys
func StructToMap(obj interface{}) (newMap map[string]interface{}, err error) {
    data, err := json.Marshal(obj) // Convert to a json string

    if err != nil {
        return
    }

    err = json.Unmarshal(data, &newMap) // Convert to a map
    return
}

And in the main, this is how it would be called...

package main

import (
    "fmt"
    "encoding/json"
    "github.com/fatih/structs"
)

type MyStructObject struct {
    Email string `json:"email_address"`
}

func main() {
    obj := &MyStructObject{Email: "[email protected]"}

    // My solution
    fmt.Println(StructToMap(obj)) // prints {"email_address": "[email protected]"}

    // The currently accepted solution
    fmt.Println(structs.Map(obj)) // prints {"Email": "[email protected]"}
}
3
votes
package main

import (
    "fmt"
    "reflect"
)

type bill struct {
    N1 int
    N2 string
    n3 string
}

func main() {
    a := bill{4, "dhfthf", "fdgdf"}

    v := reflect.ValueOf(a)

    values := make(map[string]interface{}, v.NumField())

    for i := 0; i < v.NumField(); i++ {
        if v.Field(i).CanInterface() {
            values[v.Type().Field(i).Name] = v.Field(i).Interface()
        } else {
            fmt.Printf("sorry you have a unexported field (lower case) value you are trying to sneak past. I will not allow it: %v\n", v.Type().Field(i).Name)
        }
    }

    fmt.Println(values)

    passObject(&values)
}

func passObject(v1 *map[string]interface{}) {
    fmt.Println("yoyo")
}
0
votes
map := Structpb.AsMap()

// map is the map[string]interface{}