this code (lua) gives you a random value from the table "local a" by pressing the text "new". Unfortunately the new random value just appears above the old one. I've tried to remove the old value e.g. with display.remove(mmDis), but it doesn't work.
The second problem is that sometimes I also get back the value "nil" and not only the four entries from the table.
Both things must be easy to solve, but as newbie to lua and working on these small things for almost 4 hours now I just don't get what to change to make it work.
-- references
local mmDis
-- functions
function randomText(event)
display.remove(mmDis)
local a = {"Banana!","Apple!","Potato","Pie"}
com = (a[math.random(0.5,#a)])
local mmDis = display.newText(tostring(com),
display.contentWidth*0.57, display.contentHeight*0.7,
display.contentWidth*0.9, display.contentHeight*0.8, "Calibri", 60)
end
-- menu button
local textnew = display.newText("New", 0, 0, "Calibri", 40)
textnew.x = display.contentWidth*0.2
textnew.y = display.contentHeight*0.9
textnew:addEventListener ("tap", randomText )
math.random(1,#a)instead for the second problem. - hjpotter92