3
votes

I'm new to Apache Subversion. We are a group of people thinking to work on a project in java. Some of us are based in different locations. I've been surfing the web for some common repository to share code across all the team members and I came across VisualSVN server.

I was able to setup a repository and my friend, we live together, share the same Wi-Fi router can access the repository using TortoiseSVN client because we are on same network, but a friend who lives far away can't use this repository of mine.

This repository is not accessible by him for I dont know what all reasons, may be my IP is not static or some other reasons which I dont know about.

Please let me know how to make that repo available for him using SVN client only, if possible.

2
Have you considered to setup port-forwarding on your router or using dynamic DNS service (if you don't have static IP)? - bahrep
I've setup a svn server and used it remotely a couple years ago, so i don't remember all the details. I do think bahrep is correct. you don't need a static ip address, but remember that a dynamic IP will change every now and then. It's not very often. - Dennis Flagg
@bahrep - how to do that...i dont have any idea abt it...can u give me any reference material it will be great :) - jasmeet24
Just Google it, it's pretty common issue. The same as setting up any web server to be avaliable from the Internet. As well, consider @Henrik's answer about using cloud service such as Windows Azure or Amazon EC2. - bahrep

2 Answers

1
votes

Your friend far away can't use the repository because it's internal to your network. You need to configure the firewall/router on your network for port forwarding to send requests through to your internal server.

Anytime your public IP changes, your friend will have to relocate his working copies. Or you can avail yourself of one of the many dynamic DNS services so that he doesn't have to do this.

Bear in mind that exposing a server to the internet can expose you to security issues. If you aren't familiar with managing a more or less public server on the internet, you could find yourself in a heap of trouble.

I would suggest that you look at a repository hosting service to handle this repository for you, instead of trying to do it yourself with an old PC in your basement. Recommending such a service is beyond the scope of this site.

1
votes

You should seriously consider setting up a central SVN repository, use a VDS, I use AWS for my SVN server, never encountered any connectivity issues and it's backed up and I don't have to worry about power failures.