I have the following two implementations of authenticating users with LDAP and LDAPS and I was wondering which was better / more correct. For the record, both of these work on both SSL and non-SSL connections.
I'm also curious because when watching with Wireshark on the Non-SSL PrincipalContext version, I still see traffic on Port 636. Of the four combinations (Non-SSL LdapConnection, SSL LdapConnection, Non-SSL PrincipalContext, SSL PrincipalContext) it is the only one that has traffic on both Port 389 and 636 instead of just one or the other. What could be causing this?
LDAP Connection Method:
bool userAuthenticated = false;
var domainName = DomainName;
if (useSSL)
{
domainName = domainName + ":636";
}
try
{
using (var ldap = new LdapConnection(domainName))
{
var networkCredential = new NetworkCredential(username, password, domainName);
ldap.SessionOptions.VerifyServerCertificate = new VerifyServerCertificateCallback((con, cer) => true);
ldap.SessionOptions.SecureSocketLayer = useSSL;
ldap.SessionOptions.ProtocolVersion = 3;
ldap.AuthType = AuthType.Negotiate;
ldap.Bind(networkCredential);
}
// If the bind succeeds, we have a valid user/pass.
userAuthenticated = true;
}
catch (LdapException ldapEx)
{
// Error Code 0x31 signifies invalid credentials, anything else will be caught outside.
if (!ldapEx.ErrorCode.Equals(0x31))
{
throw;
}
}
return userAuthenticated;
PrincipalContext Method:
bool userAuthenticated = false;
var domainName = DomainName;
if (useSSL)
{
domainName = domainName + ":636";
ContextOptions options = ContextOptions.SimpleBind | ContextOptions.SecureSocketLayer;
using (PrincipalContext pc = new PrincipalContext(ContextType.Domain, domainName, null, options))
{
userAuthenticated = pc.ValidateCredentials(username, password, options);
}
}
else
{
using (PrincipalContext pc = new PrincipalContext(ContextType.Domain, domainName))
{
userAuthenticated = pc.ValidateCredentials(username, password);
}
}
return userAuthenticated;