138
votes

I have any string. like 'buffalo',

x='buffalo'

I want to convert this string to some variable name like,

buffalo=4 

not only this example, I want to convert any input string to some variable name. How should I do that (in python)?

3
Why would you want to do that? You generally use a dictionary if you need to map strings to values. - Martijn Pieters♦
None of the answers so far handle common error cases, such as having a space or a period in the string. - CivFan

3 Answers

154
votes
x='buffalo'    
exec("%s = %d" % (x,2))

After that you can check it by:

print buffalo

As an output you will see: 2

38
votes

This is the best way, I know of to create dynamic variables in python.

my_dict = {}
x = "Buffalo"
my_dict[x] = 4

I found a similar, but not the same question here Creating dynamically named variables from user input

18
votes

You can use a Dictionary to keep track of the keys and values.

For instance...

dictOfStuff = {} ##Make a Dictionary

x = "Buffalo" ##OR it can equal the input of something, up to you.

dictOfStuff[x] = 4 ##Get the dict spot that has the same key ("name") as what X is equal to. In this case "Buffalo". and set it to 4. Or you can set it to  what ever you like

print(dictOfStuff[x]) ##print out the value of the spot in the dict that same key ("name") as the dictionary.

A dictionary is very similar to a real life dictionary. You have a word and you have a definition. You can look up the word and get the definition. So in this case, you have the word "Buffalo" and it's definition is 4. It can work with any other word and definition. Just make sure you put them into the dictionary first.