I am attempting to secure a new .Net 4.5 WCF service using HTTPS / SSL, Basic client credentials and the WebHttpBinding. From reading up online I found a good series of Blog Posts from Allen Conway which I have used as a template.
WCF configuration
<system.serviceModel>
<bindings>
<webHttpBinding>
<binding name="webInteropSecureBinding" allowCookies="false" maxBufferPoolSize="2097152" maxBufferSize="2097152" maxReceivedMessageSize="2097152">
<security mode="Transport">
<transport clientCredentialType="Basic"></transport>
</security>
</binding>
</webHttpBinding>
</bindings>
<services>
<service name="PsmDataProvider.PsmProvider" behaviorConfiguration="SecureRest">
<clear />
<endpoint address="" binding="webHttpBinding" bindingConfiguration="webInteropSecureBinding" name="PsmProvider" contract="PsmDataProvider.IPsmProvider" behaviorConfiguration="webHttpBehavior" />
<endpoint address="mex" binding="mexHttpsBinding" name="mex" contract="IMetadataExchange" listenUriMode="Explicit" />
<host>
<baseAddresses>
<add baseAddress="https://localhost:44300/PsmProvider/" />
</baseAddresses>
</host>
</service>
</services>
<behaviors>
<serviceBehaviors>
<behavior name="SecureRest">
<serviceMetadata httpGetEnabled="false" httpsGetEnabled="true" />
<serviceDebug includeExceptionDetailInFaults="true" />
<serviceCredentials>
<userNameAuthentication userNamePasswordValidationMode="Custom"
customUserNamePasswordValidatorType="PsmDataProvider.Security.CustomerUserNamePasswordValidator, PsmDataProvider"/>
</serviceCredentials>
</behavior>
</serviceBehaviors>
<endpointBehaviors>
<behavior name="webHttpBehavior">
<webHttp />
</behavior>
</endpointBehaviors>
</behaviors>
<serviceHostingEnvironment aspNetCompatibilityEnabled="true" multipleSiteBindingsEnabled="true" />
</system.serviceModel>
CustomerUserNamePasswordValidator
I have stubbed out the CustomerUserNamePasswordValidator implementation and have confirmed that the constructor is called before the exception is raised.
using System;
using System.IdentityModel.Selectors;
namespace PsmDataProvider.Security
{
internal class CustomerUserNamePasswordValidator : UserNamePasswordValidator, ICustomerUserNamePasswordValidator
{
public CustomerUserNamePasswordValidator()
{
}
public override void Validate(string userName, string password)
{
if (userName == null) throw new ArgumentNullException("userName","The username must be provided in the request to access this service");
if (password == null) throw new ArgumentNullException("password", "The password must be provided in the request to access this service");
}
}
}
When I try to run the code in VS2012 through IIS Express the service fails to start with the below error.

If I remove the clientCredentialType from the configuration then it works but I require the additional security of using the username / password validation on the service and possibly at a method level in the future.
Is this something I have configured incorrectly in the WCF config or a problem with the configuration in IISExpress?
Please help...