You can see that I have a 3 element array. I am using a while loop to then print out all 3 values into a table, one row for each of the three values, but I do not understand how three rows are being printed out when I only have one row hard coded using html code. The PHP while loop does not echo the tr and td tags for each row because those row and detail tags are outside the PHP code. The code works -- it prints out one additional new table row for each value of "mary","donna","shirley", but I do not understand how. I could see it working if the tr and td tags were output by a PHP echo statement inside the while loop, but that is not the case here.
<html>
<body>
<table cellspacing ="2" cellpadding ="2" align ="center" border="8">
<?php
$ar1=["mary","donna","shirley"];
$len=count($ar1);
$ct=0;
?>
<?php while ( $ct<$len) { ?>
<tr>
<td>
<?php echo $ar1[$ct];
$ct++;
?>
</td>
</tr>
<?php } //end while loop?>
</table>
</body>
</html>