6
votes

I have installed the MSMQ feature onto both server (win 2008 R2) and client machine (win 7) using the following Link. The Feature appears in the server manager and I am able to create a public or privet queue through the GUI. But when I come to try access the queue locally on the server through PowerShell (2.0) none of the Cmdlet's for MSMQ are recognized within the shell.

Are there any further steps that I need to take to access MSMQ through PowerShell? Is there a MSMQ module that I need to load?

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

2
What error do you get? - John Breakwell
Error is the standard unrecognized cmdlet: The term 'Get-MsmqQueue' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet.. - Richard

2 Answers

5
votes

If you click up one level in the link you provided you'll see that you're looking at pre-release PowerShell 4.0 module documentation. Here's the link to the parent page.

https://web.archive.org/web/20131029215718/http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn249523.aspx

PowerShell Community Extensions (PSCX) has some cmdlets for working with MSMQ, and it works with PowerShell 2.0, though.

4
votes

The below method works in Powershell 2.0:

$query = "SELECT MessagesinQueue FROM Win32_PerfRawData_MSMQ_MSMQQueue WHERE Name = 'myPrivateQueueName'"
$wmiObject = Get-WmiObject -Query $query
$wmiObject.MessagesinQueue

You can list the queues with this query:

$query = "SELECT * FROM Win32_PerfRawData_MSMQ_MSMQQueue"

Look at the __PATH property which will end in .Name="theQueueName"