So I'm trying to write code that sees if a ray intersects a flat circular disk and I was hoping to get it checked out here. My disk is always centered on the negative z axis so its normal vector should be (0,0, -1).
The way I'm doing it is first calculate the ray-plane intersection and then determining if that intersection point is within the "scope" of the disk.
In my code I am getting some numbers that seem off and I am not sure if the problem is in this method or if it is possibly somewhere else. So if there is something wrong with this code I would appreciate your feedback! =)
Here is my code:
float d = z_intercept; //This is where disk intersects z-axis. Can be + or -.
ray->d = Normalize(ray->d);
Point p(0, 0, d); //This is the center point of the disk
Point p0(0, 1, d);
Point p1(1, 0, d);
Vector n = Normalize(Cross(p0-p, p1-p));//Calculate normal
float diameter = DISK_DIAMETER; //Constant value
float t = (-d-Dot(p-ray->o, n))/Dot(ray->d, n); //Calculate the plane intersection
Point intersection = ray->o + t*ray->d;
return (Distance(p, intersection) <= diameter/2.0f); //See if within disk
//This is my code to calculate distance
float RealisticCamera::Distance(Point p, Point i)
{
return sqrt((p.x-i.x)*(p.x-i.x) + (p.y-i.y)*(p.y-i.y) + (p.z-i.z)*(p.z-i.z));
}