In a project I've been assigned to I'm asked to compile my code with f77, and I'm trying to get a grip on how to handle the 72 characters per line limit. I'd like to write the following line of code:
!use the numbers to check my indentation...
!2345678901234567890
MPI_SEND(slave, 1, MPI_INTEGER, slave, MPI_ANY_TAG, MPI_COMM_WORLD, ierr)
the long indentation before is because the line is inside a couple of blocks, and I'd like to solve this without having to sacrifice code indentation (i.e. readability).
As is, the code is truncated after MP in MPI_COMM_WORLD, so I thought I'd just break the line, and add a line continuation character in column 6. I've seen examples on the net with both + and integer digits as the line continuation characters, so I've tried both the following versions:
!2345678901234567890
MPI_SEND(slave, 1, MPI_INTEGER, slave, MPI_ANY_TAG,
1 MPI_COMM_WORLD, ierr)
MPI_SEND(slave, 1, MPI_INTEGER, slave, MPI_ANY_TAG,
+ MPI_COMM_WORLD, ierr)
Both of them give me a compile error on the first line, saying
MPI_SEND(slave, 1, MPI_INTEGER, slave, MPI_ANY_TAG,
1
Error: Unclassifiable statement at (1)
The code resides in a code file named pi.f, I'm compiling with make pi and I have (only) the following in my makefile:
FC = mpif77
FFLAGS=-Wall
Make shows me that the actual command to compile the file is
mpif77 -Wall pi.f -o pi
What am I doing wrong here? How do I make this work?