I might be confused about something, but when I store a custom object from the Java Riak client and then try to read that object using the Python Riak client, I end up with a raw json string instead of a dict.
However, if I store a the object in python, I am able to output a python dictionary when fetching that object.
I could simply use a json library on the python side to resolve this, but the very fact that I am experiencing this discrepancy makes me think that I am doing something wrong.
On the Java side, this is my object:
class DocObject
{
public String status; // FEEDING | PERSISTED | FAILED | DELETING
public List<String> messages = new ArrayList<String>();
}
class PdfObject extends DocObject
{
public String url;
public String base_url;
}
This is how I am storing that object in Riak:
public void feeding(IDocument doc) throws RiakRetryFailedException {
PdfObject pdfObject = new PdfObject();
pdfObject.url = doc.getElement("url").getValue().toString();
pdfObject.base_url = doc.getElement("base_url").getValue().toString();
pdfObject.status = "FEEDING";
String key = hash(pdfObject.url);
pdfBucket.store(key, pdfObject).execute();
}
And this is what I am doing in Python to fetch the data:
# Connect to Riak.
client = riak.RiakClient()
# Choose the bucket to store data in.
bucket = client.bucket('pdfBucket')
doc = bucket.get('7909aa2f84c9e0fded7d1c7bb2526f54')
doc_data = doc.get_data()
print type(doc_data)
The result of the above python is:
<type 'str'>
I am expecting that to be <type 'dict'>, just like how the example here works:
http://basho.github.com/riak-python-client/tutorial.html#getting-single-values-out
I am perplexed as to why when the object is stored from Java it is stored as a JSON string and not as an object.
I would appreciate if anybody could point out an issue with my approach that might be causing this discrepancy.
Thanks!