6
votes

What I want in org-mode is like the inline code block syntax in Markdown language X <- 3. I googled and attempted (reference):

src_R{X <- 3}

inline in org-mode, but exporting to html (with C-cC-eh) did not show the inline code. Other code block like #+begin_src R stuff works fine, but anyhow there is a warning message while exporting:

htmlize.el 1.34 or later is needed for source code formatting [14 times]

Could that be the reason ?

Update:

Thanks for @LeVieuxGildas opinion, I installed and loaded the latest htmlize.el version 1.43 now and did not get any error message when exporting. But still exporting html can not show inline code part.

system: OS X 10.8.2 ; emacs mac port https://github.com/railwaycat/emacs-mac-port ; built-in org-mode

2
You mean C-c C-e h, right ? (Not being sure, I didn't edit that) This footnote suggests you probably need to upgrade htmlize, and that upgrading org would do. Is that your answer ? (I have no idea how much the legacy exporter handles html inline code blocks, but maybe the new exporter does a better job with them.) - Nikana Reklawyks
@LeVieuxGildas Yes. It's C-c C-e h. I edited and corrected it. As I understand from the footnote, htmlize package 1.34 version should be built in org. - liuminzhao
Probably built-in in the most up-to-date version, maybe not in the bundled one you've got. - Nikana Reklawyks
@LeVieuxGildas You are right. The built-in version is 7.8.11. And I upgraded org-mode to 7.9.2, the latest version, but it does not help. Same message about htmlize showed up. - liuminzhao
It's in contrib, which for sure is added in your lisp path? Didn't forget to org-reload? I fall short of ideas at this point… - Nikana Reklawyks

2 Answers

7
votes

I think we are talking about two things here. If you want to just "show code" like the backticks in Markdown, surround your inline code with equal signs, as in:

Write messages in JavaScript using: =console.log(x, y)=

However, using the src_XYZ{abc} attempts to evaluate that as code and return the results.

3
votes

Fast and dirty solution is to modify the header arguments in your previous inline code.

src_R[:exports code]{X <- 3}

In my opinion, inline code is much better than =code= or ~code~ because it can be syntax highlighted if you output your org file as Latex file.