Possible Duplicate:
Secure hash and salt for PHP passwords
WARNING Don't use MD5 for passwords, use an alternative like bcrypt
For my passwords should I use salt like this (the salt will be unique to each user and not stored directly with the password)...
$salt = sha1(md5("coders gonna code"));
$password = md5($salt.$password);
or would it be okay if I just used:
$password = md5($password);
because if I used salt, even if the user makes up a bad password like password it won't matter because the salt (in this case) would be 145ac26ff093c6e1317f7d5fb4c9fd11c77be975 so the entry for there password would be 145ac26ff093c6e1317f7d5fb4c9fd11c77be975password which according to http://howsecureismypassword.net/ it would take 3 octodecillion years to crack.... so opinions? Or should I be even worse and go
$password = md5($salt.$password.md5($salt));
If the person has gone far enough to get the salt hash, would anything be able to stop then going futher? < More of a statement this last password
To everyone who said I should do it per user... I know, this is just an example.
PBKDF2instead of salting your passwords. - Florentmd5as your password hashing algorithm. SHA1 isn't much better. Usebcryptor, as Florent suggested,PBKDF2. Why? "Its slowness and multiple rounds ensures that an attacker must deploy massive funds and hardware to be able to crack your passwords". - Justin ᚅᚔᚈᚄᚒᚔ