3
votes

I am developing a BlackBerry application in which I need to use PUSH API. I already have registered with RIM and they have sent me the credentials for evaluation service. In my BlackBerry device, I installed sample push API application just to test that the push messaging works. After setting the content provider URL which is publicly accessible, I entered all the details for the sample application to register the it for receiving notification messages. When trying to register it asks for username and password but I don't know what they are for. In the email received from RIM, there are passwords for server application and content provider admin portal applications but not for the push client.

When I added an arbitrary username and password it fails with the message that java.lang.Exception Registration with Push API failed, caused by port is unavailable. But when I unregister it successfully unregisters the user with the given arbitrary username and password. By the I use the port given in the RIM's email.

I have no idea why this happens and I appreciate immediate response from you. Thank you.

1

1 Answers

4
votes

The first thing to point out is that the RIM sample push application is ridiculously overcomplicated. The username and password you are referring to are used to authenticate against the sample push initiator web application which runs on your tomcat server. It doesn't matter what you put in there, they are not used for authentication. I can only assume they were added to show you that you can send a username and password to a web based service.

The only things you need in your BlackBerry app to register for the push service are:

The port is unavailable message you're receiving is probably because the device you're using has not been provisioned for BlackBerry Internet Services (BIS). Make sure it has a SIM with an active BlackBerry data plan.